Wednesday 17 March 2010

a winter vegetable-salsify

A friend of mine sent me a link to Zester daily, which has some interesting cooking ideas. I added the link to the blog: look it up! One of the winter vegetables mentioned is the salsify, which, honestly, I discovered in France. My impression (correct me if I'm wrong!) is that this is not a well known vegetable in the US. Since I happen to have a recipe, thought I'd share it!
TIPS: Like all roots, choose the firm ones. Peel like a carrot. To make a decent gratin for 4, buy at least 1 kilo or 2 lbs of the vegetable.

Gratin de salsify
2lbs or 1 kilo salsify

Bechamel (see post)
butter
milk
flour or corn starch
nutmeg
Parmesan or other grated cheese.
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to medium.
Clean and peel the salsify. 
Slice into rounds.
Parboil until cooked but firm.
Meanwhile make a thick bechamel, with nutmeg.
Butter a baking dish.
Put the cooked salsify into the dish, cover with bechamel, sprinkle cheese, salt & pepper to taste.
Bake in oven until golden, about 30 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment