Sunday 15 February 2009

Saffron shrimp recipe





Well, to inaugurate the recipe swap, given that I published this photo on Facebook, I thought I'd give out the recipe. This is very simple & you can use any sort of shellfish (I recommend scallops). This is how the recipe was transmitted to me, but I confess I never actually measure out ingredients, I do it by eye. Also I tend to substitute ingredients.... Nevertheless, it was a big hit at my step-daughter's 9th birthday party! The photo shows a platter for 12, made with scampi.

SAFFRON SHRIMP


12 oz shrimp (or shellfish)

1/4 cup butter

2 tbsp green onion (or shallots)

2 tbsp celery

2 tbsp flour (or cornstarch)

1/2 tbsp saffron

1/2 cup broth

1/3 cup cream or milk

1/2 cup white wine

salt & pepper to taste (I add a pinch of a mild chili like cayenne pepper)



Sauté shrimp, onion & celery in butter, about 5 minutes until pink.

Stir in flour, saffron, salt & pepper.

Add broth & 1/2 cream. Let thicken.

Stir in wine & rest of cream.


Serve on bed or rice (I recommend wild rice), decorate with parsley, thin slices of red pepper....


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment